Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Build a Sauna and other Sauna topics.
Saunas are wonderful at-home therapy, but to be really great, it should have a proper plan and be built well. A Finnish sauna architect has developed a system of ratings for building a sauna, from one to five stars. A five-star sauna is considered the highest rating for any sauna. When building a sauna, incorporate some of the five-star criteria to be able to provide a luxurious sauna experience.
To be a five star sauna, the sauna must:
• Face west – so it has a view of the setting sun
• Be in a separate building or wing of a house – the sauna should be properly isolated so as not to interfere with those living in the house
• Have its own entrance – a sauna should have easy access to outside, so the user can easily take a swim or enjoy the snow
• Be at least 350 cubic feet – a small sauna is just a sweatbox! Make sure the sauna is large enough for multiple bathers and does not make the users claustrophobic
• Have two showers – so multiple bathers can shower at the same time
• Have a large dressing room – giving multiple bathers room to dress and undress
• Have a separate bathroom – so the sauna users aren't disturbed by the noises in the bathroom
• Have a window – the sauna should have a small window, and the bathroom should also have a window
• Have two heaters – one should be an electric heater for everyday use, and one should be a wood stove for holidays and special occasions